When Sharon visited the NCANA meeting in Wilmington, she sat through a lecture full of people with children and grandchildren that were panicked listening to the speaker. It was eye-opening and something we wanted to bring awareness to because it can be avoided. The person speaking that day was Emily Funk, DNP, CRNA and we asked her to come on to talk to us about the danger of button batteries and the harm they can cause almost immediately when ingested.
Here are some of the things you’ll learn on this show:
How she became aware of button battery ingestion and the heartbreaking story of a young girl that passed away. (6:06)
What you should do if a kid swallows a battery. (10:54)
What do anesthetists need to know about care. (14:02)
Warnings and protections that are currently in place. (18:09)
How to be more aware of what’s in the home. (20:00)
What care is needed after the battery is removed? (26:11)